Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The "DIRTY" word

Debt.

Even the word sounds dirty. As in "I spent money when I didn't have it"..

Whether it's student loans, a mortgage, car loan, credit card it's all debt. Sometimes this can be a black cloud that hangs over people's heads.

A long time ago my parents jumped on the Dave Ramsey band wagon and did the debt snowball. At first it sucked for them, but only because their spending habits had to change. They didn't live without necessities, they simply stopped spending frivolously. In case you don't know what the debt snowball is the cliff note version is that you list all of your debts from smallest to largest, write out your budget with bills and necessary spending within the month and you start paying off your debt from the top of the list (the smallest) to the largest. It worked great for them.

I've read Dave's books, I understand the concept very well but it's so hard to change habits that have been engrained in your mind. When I'm happy I like to go shopping, when I'm sad I like retail therapy. Don't get my wrong either, usually the things I buy are for our new house, our son or my husband. I don't go on crazy sprees where I buy a ton of new clothes for myself or anything. But it's spending none the less.

Today I took the time to actually lay out what our bills are, what are debts are smallest to largest and this year Josh and I will become debt free with the exception of our two vehicles (maybe only one) and the house. May will become a no-spend month. No clothes, no unnecessary food, nothing new for the house or outdoors (With the exception of the few items I have to purchase for the triple birthday party I am throwing for my parents and husband).

No one ever wants to talk about money, and I don't really like to either, but it's something that I think every American is thinking about these days. In light of the somewhat recent events we have taken additional steps to make sure that we aren't completely reliant on stores for all items we need to survive. I guess in all aspects of our life we are trying to just make sure we don't owe anyone anything and become more self sufficient. I suggest you do as well.



COMMENTS: »

Leave a Reply